Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Europa to Ganymede

I recently upgraded my version of Eclipse from Europa (v3.3) to Ganymede (v3.4) on Mac OS X. I wanted to install the following plug-ins: Subclipse (for Subversion), M2Eclipse (for Maven), WTP (for various editors, e.g. XML, XSD, etc.), and PDT (for PHP).

First up, Subclipse. I added the update site and installed it without a hitch. Eclipse required a restart; an annoyance I was hoping Ganymede would have fixed.

On to M2Eclipse. I added the update site, tried an install and got the following cryptic error messages:

Unsatisfied dependency: [org.maven.ide.eclipse.ajdt.feature.feature.group
0.9.5.20080717-1821] requiredCapability:
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu/org.eclipse.ajdt.core/0.0.0
Unsatisfied dependency: [org.eclipse.jst.common.frameworks 1.1.102.v200709122200]
requiredCapability: osgi.bundle/org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi/[2.2.0,2.4.0)
... snip (many more lines of similar error messages) ...

After some Googling, I found out that M2Eclipse requires that the AspectJ Development Tools (AJDT) and the Web Tools Platform (WTP) are installed first. I added the AJDT update site and installed it with one peculiarity. Prior to the install, Eclipse complained that the http://md.pp.ru/~eu/12 website was unavailable. This website belongs to a Eugene Kuleshov, a developer who is interested in, amongst other things, AspectJ. Perhaps he is an AJDT developer. Anyhow, the warning did not prevent the install from completing successfully. I added the WTP update site and it (eventually) installed. I returned to M2Eclipse and it installed correctly.

Finally, the PDT. I added the update site, tried an install, and got another error message:

Cannot find a solution satisfying the following requirements Match[requiredCapability:
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu/org.eclipse.wst.web_ui.feature.feature.group
/[3.0.1.v200807220139-7R0ELZE8Ks-y8HYiQrw5ftEC3UBF,3.0.1.v200807220139-7R0ELZE8Ks-
y8HYiQrw5ftEC3UBF]].

I have had problems with this plug-in before when using Europa. I followed the instructions on the PDT website, but to no avail. Three out of four plug-ins will have to suffice for now :-( Maybe Eclipse v3.5 will have an smoother plug-in system.

6 comments:

Eugene Kuleshov said...

We explicitly specified features on m2eclipse update site that are optional and don't have to be installed. So, you can uncheck AspectJ integration as well as any other feature marked as "Optional" when installing things from m2eclipse update site.

Martin Harrigan said...

But the update site it tries to add (http://md.pp.ru/~eu/12) appears to be unavailable.

At the same time, I have to say that the m2eclipse plug-in is one of my favorites.

Unknown said...

I had the same issue with the PDT plugin. Just ensure you're using the latest version (2). The update site serves the previous stable version.

Unknown said...

Oh and follow the steps on this site if you have any other issues:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/PDT/Installation

Martin Harrigan said...

Thank you!

Martin Harrigan said...

All of the above now appear to be fixed :-)